Wednesday 26 November 2014

FERGAL O'BRIEN INTERVIEW

In the last of my three interviews for the UK Championships I get a few thoughts and feelings from Fergal O'Brien who starts his campaign tonight against Brazilian Igor Figueiredo. Fergal speaks about his poor record in fairly recent years at the UK Championships, the position of Irish Snooker, whilst also looking back on his career so far and what he can still achieve in the game.

Here's exactly what Fergal kindly had to say to me, written ahead of last weekends Ruhr Open:


Hi Fergal, You’ve lost in the Last 32 of the UK Championships in both of the last two seasons, while struggling badly in the qualifying draw before that. Do you think you could’ve done better in this event in recent years and do you think you can do better this season?

My record in the UK championships is disappointing. I think I have only made the quarter finals once and as you said for a good few years I didn't even qualify. Hopefully I will make up for the lean years this year. I like the tournament I like the longer matches and I like York but as yet that hasn't resulted in great performances.

This season you’ve got Brazilian Igor Figueiredo in the Last 128. Have you ever seen much of Igor in action and what do you think you can expect from that match?

I played Igor a few years ago in a qualifier in Sheffield and while I won 5 1 it wasn't easy so I'm looking forward to playing him again. I have had a good start to the season after a good season last year. I have been practising hard the last 2 weeks so hopefully it will pay off.

Last season of course was the first year of all 128 guys playing at the venue under the flat draw. Knowing that you played in the sports hall for a couple of your games last season, how big a difference was there playing in the sports hall compared to the main arena and do you think this damages the tournament in any way?

I prefer the flat 128 draw with everybody at the venue. I didn't mind playing in the sports hall for my first 2 matches while I know Mark King who I played wasn't happy with the set up. I prefer playing in the main arena but I am sure we'll get used to open plan areas like other qualifiers and PTC events.

Your best performance of the season so far was a run to the quarter-finals of the Shanghai Masters where you lost 5-0 to Mark Selby. Were you pleased with your efforts that week or slightly disappointed that you couldn’t progress further or put up a better show in that match?

I was happy to get to the quarter finals in Shanghai my first in a while and my best run in China so progress there but yes I was disappointed not to play better against Mark.

In the Last 16 of that tournament you overcame you overcame the wildcard sensation Zhao Xintong 5-3. What did he look like up close, do you think he has a bright future in the game and is it unfair that he should continually be given a place in the wildcard round?

Zhao Xintong is a fabulous prospect, fearless potter and very natural he played well at the start but made my experience count at the end. He has every chance of having a great career if he works hard. I have been against any wild cards in overseas events for years and think they are unfair period the sooner they're gone the better.

Your best performance for some time came in at the Gdynia Open in February where you lost in the final to Shaun Murphy. How pleasing was that week for you, and was it more pleasing that it took some brilliant form from Murphy to beat you there?

I was delighted to get to the final in Gdynia in February. I didn't play my very best but battled well and came from 3 1 down to beat Dominic Dale and Tony Drago. I knew I had to make the quarter finals to make the PTC finals so I was pleased to do well under pressure. I had chances against Shaun but didn’t take them and he played better. Hopefully I will win the next final I'm in.

You’re still going strong in the rankings at No.28 (at the time of writing) with a highest professional ranking of 9 in the past. Do you think that you still have the game to get back into the top 16, or is this as good as things will get for you now?

I definitely believe I will make top 16 again as I feel I'm improving practising hard and I run 5 times a week so am one or the fittest on tour and am still hungry to add to the the British open title of 1999. I don't want to stand still in the rankings I want to move up. I feel I am a better player than when I was in the top 16 before and while standards have improved I believe my best is good enough.

In 2001 you made the final of the Masters at the old Wembley Conference Centre where you lost out 10-9 to the great Paul Hunter. Do you look back on that final with a general fondness, simply for being a part of it?

I was very disappointed to lose the Masters final in 2001 to Paul as I was 7 3 up and also had chances in the decider but looking back I am glad to have been part of such a classic match and obviously can't begrudge Paul the win as this helped cement his legend along with other victories before his tragic death in his prime with a young wife and daughter left behind.

Can you give us an insight into what it is that makes Fergal O’Brien tick away from the snooker table? What things in life are the most important to you?

Away from snooker I love spending time at home with my wife and daughter. I'm away so much it's great when I'm back home. As I said I love running. I joined Lucan Harriers 5 years ago and wish I had years before that. There's a great bunch of lads and we have a great laugh while challenging each other. I also like having my friends around a few times during the year for poker and support Manchester United which hasn't been as much fun as usual the last 18 months!

You’ve been flying the flag for Irish snooker amongst a host of other players for some time now, but where does the future of Irish snooker stand right now? What young Irish players should we be looking out for in the future in your opinion?

It is disappointing that there are only 3 Irish players on the tour and Ken and I have been trying to fly the flag for 25 years or so. Josh Bealieu is a good kid with talent who has a chance to make it and PJ Nolan the Irish national coach who I work with has told me there are some talented juniors on the scene so hopefully they will make the breakthrough over the next decade.

The most recent big tournament to feature in Ireland was the PTC Finals in Galway, but since this was moved last season there is no tour snooker coming to the Irish shores. Do you think it’s a must that tour snooker returns to Ireland in order for more young players to come through?

It is an awful pity that there are no tournaments in Ireland even a PTC as this would really help promote the game here and give encouragement to juniors. Having said that I am really looking to playing in the legends event in Goffs on 29&30 December - Ireland v England should be great!

Finally, at the age of 42, how many years do you think you have left in your career or are you aiming to keep going as long as you possibly can? How many years do you think you can continue at your current standard?

Even though I'm 42 I still feel there are great things I can still achieve and using Steve Davis and Phil Taylor as inspiration I definitely think I have at least 10 more years in me.
 
I'd like to thank Fergal for taking the time out of his UK Championship preparations to do this interview for my blog and I hope you've all enjoyed reading it.
 
I'm hoping to get a few more interviews for the blog in the near future, but immediately it's all eyes on the UK Championships in York and my next update from the tournament will be on Friday to sum up how everything's been going in the first round ahead of the beginning of the Last 64 and TV Coverage on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment