Monday 23 February 2015

Two Years of Cue Action Snooker Blog

On Saturday 23rd February 2013, I decided to start writing Cue Action Snooker Blog. Sitting here on Monday 23rd February 2015, two years down the line and 241 blog posts later it's been a fair journey. As I said in my one year post, I didn't think this would last more than a couple of months like my other projects, so for me to have already been writing this two years is quite the achievement.

While the first year of blogging saw a number of great posts and features, the second has seen me cover a lot more tournaments in more depth with day by day updates on pretty much all of the major ranking tournaments in the last year, rather just doing a few as and when I felt like it. Since this day a year ago, I've had the pleasure to interview players like Mark King, Fergal O'Brien, Kurt Maflin, Scott Donaldson, Michael Holt and Joe Perry to go with the interviews I did in year one. What else have I done other than the interviews, tournament previews and other tournament news? Well, there was of course my "Day in the Life of the commentator" feature with the brilliant Neal Foulds and that was a lot of fun. I also continued my 12 Classic Matches feature for 2014 over Christmas, and added to that period the round-up of my best Players and Moments of the snooker year in 2014.

A year ago when writing my one year anniversary piece I said I'd like to do more interviews, and that certainly gets a big tick with the amount I've done in the last year. The Player of the Year feature went well as I hoped it would when coming up with the idea a year ago, and of course so have some of the features I've done with guest bloggers, but I'm hoping to get a lot more people involved with stuff like that.

However, I still didn't get half of the new features up and running that I would've liked to in the past 12 months, so my aims for the next year are certainly do to take the blog down several different new avenues and angles with the features I run. I'll obviously continue to cover all of the main tournaments on the calendar in great depth, and of course cover the smaller European Tour events as well, but I'd like to do a great deal more in terms of guest blogs and interviews, just so that you as the reader get to hear more voices and opinions. I'd also like to look in-depth more at certain aspects within the game, and get more expert opinions on these things, whether that be by me doing more in-depth research based pieces on here, but also perhaps by restarting the Twitter Debate Panel. I think there's also a certain lack of diversity on the blog and that as a man who is a fan of his comedy it would be nice to take a light-hearted view on snooker and do some more comedy snooker pieces. What else have I got in my locker? Well, I'd like the blog to focus a little more on amateur snooker, because every world champion has had to start at the very bottom, and there are a lot of events on the amateur circuit that some of you may not even know about.

Finally, I'd just like to say that it would've been a much tougher two years of blogging without the interactions of the people on Twitter and I'd like to thank everyone that has helped to get the blog off of the ground by reading or appearing in features. A particular mention has to go to the regular readers and people that regularly comment on Twitter, but also to Shaun Murphy who has certainly appeared in his fair share of interviews and features for the blog in the two years of it's running.


Thank You All,

Michael Annison
The Original Cue Action Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment