Tuesday 28 July 2015

Celebrity Snooker Fans: CJ De Mooi: A lifelong love

In a nice new little feature I've got for all you fans of Cue Action Snooker Blog, I've spoken to CJ De Mooi, a famous face from the world of TV Quizzes such as Eggheads and Revenge of the Egghead, as well as a guest on several other quiz shows to go with his new on stage acting work, about his love of snooker and his fondest memories of the game. A lifelong fan CJ is also good friends with Triple Crown winning Shaun Murphy, which is enough to help anyone's love of snooker!!! In this piece CJ speaks of his early love of the game, very happy moments on the same day as Doherty's Crucible triumph of 1997 as well as the Pointless partnership he made with Shaun Murphy, and the day he got to test the knowledge of snooker's greatest. Enjoy:

"My earliest snooker memory was watching a match on television when I was three or four years old. Eddie Charlton was playing and as I was so youthfully impressionable, you might think that would be enough to put me off the game for life. However, I was fascinated by these coloured balls flying around the table in directions which seemed utterly impossible. As I grew, I became engrossed in the game but strangely harboured no desire whatsoever to play. I only wanted to watch. With my current running abilities well documented, it may seem bizarre that as a youngster I had no interest at all in physical sports. Even something as serene as walking around a green baize, occasionally leaning over to pot a ball was far too strenuous to be considered. Perhaps I knew I'd never be any good and as a naturally competitive person, this was enough to ensure my permanent armchair enthusiast status.
 
I came to revel in the personalities of the mid 1980s and yes, I was one of those eighteen and a half million souls who stayed up to watch the Davis-Taylor final. I wanted Steve to win but was sure he'd regain the title the following year (oops!) but was happy for Dennis and to see a new name immortalised.
 
Obviously after my life fell apart, I wasn't able to continue following the game but when I got back on track nine years later, I found myself back in front of a small screen watching as much as I could. 
As I've discussed with Ken Doherty, I met my partner (we're still together and getting married this year) on the day he won the world title against, let's be honest, all the odds and expectations. Ken is such a genuinely lovely guy though, no-one could begrudge him. This is something I unexpectedly found to be true virtually across the board. When my public profile began to grow, I attended my first live snooker match and thence onto the World Championships, so began to get to know the players personally. They were all so engagingly friendly and went out of their way to welcome me as not just a celebrity supporter but clearly someone who was passionate and knowledgeable about the game.
This was put to good use in 2010 when I was asked to take part in a Crucible interval piece called Snooker Eggheads. I faced six commentators, who included three former winners of the supreme title, in a quiz. They could answer on a chosen subject but I took the Snooker World Championships in every round. I scored fifty one out of sixty, and only lost to John Parrott but fortunately I'm not bitter about this sole loss... much.
 
Perhaps my proudest moment was appearing on Pointless Celebrities with Shaun Murphy. Although I didn't really take to him when he burst onto the scene in 2005 as the second youngest ever World Champion, we've since become good friends. We played to support the Paul Hunter Foundation and I couldn't have been more humbled. I really wish I'd had the chance to meet this amazing young man before he died tragically early after achieving more in the game than most people do in decades.
Despite a couple of hiccups, Shaun and I came through to win the jackpot for the charity and I count this as the highlight of my television career so far.
 
Snooker may seem an unusual obsession to some, especially as I have no urge to pick up a cue myself. Nevertheless, it makes me happy and the long history appeals to my inquisitive nature and love of quizzy lists. I can honestly say that of all the benefits my career has given me, getting to know snooker from the inside has been the most special."

I'd like to thank CJ once again for taking part in this feature for the blog and wish him all the best of luck with his many upcoming ventures, including the release of his autobiography which is currently available to pre order from the man himself (and signed for an extra few pounds)!!!

As for this feature I hope that I will be lucky to get in touch with another famous face who's passion for snooker burns strong. If anybody has any suggestions of who I should try and work my magic on, please send them in to me via Twitter @CueActionBlog.

No comments:

Post a Comment