Wednesday 7 October 2015

QUICK FIRE QUESTIONS with SHAUN MURPHY

In a new blog feature that I thought up along with someone that those of you on Twitter will know as @LTD_Syndicate who has been a brilliant help in coming up with this feature, and that is the Quick Fire Questions. The questions are modelled on something that Sky Sports used to do for their English Domestic Twenty20 Cricket coverage, by asking random and silly questions to give a small insight into the players.

To put it simply, me and LTD thought up 18 interesting quick answer questions to get an insight into the boys on tour and what they like on and off the table, including what they watch, favourite places to eat and some interesting ones about their fellow tour professionals. The first victim (or volunteer as he'd probably prefer to be called) for this interrogation was Masters champion Shaun Murphy. As always Shaun takes things all in his stride, and notches up a couple of quality one liners about some of his mates on tour. So here's what Shaun had to say about everything: (Shaun's contributions in italics)

Starting off easy, best snooker fans to play in front of?

Not as easy as it sounds! Most crowds are great, but the Crucible crowd are up there
 
Favourite place to eat when at home? 
Well we’ve just moved so we don’t know many places to be fair. But it was Wings in Manchester before we left.
Favourite place to eat “on the road”?
I love Wagamamas or TGI Fridays.
What’s your favourite sport aside from Snooker? 
To play would be Golf, but to watch I enjoy Golf, Tennis, Football ( sometimes )
All-time favourite song?
Wow what a toughie. Obviously any of Celine Dion’s work. Goes without saying!
Favourite break you’ve ever made in competition? 
It’ll have to be my 147 in Ruhr last year as I should’ve made 5 on the Sunday and was under pressure in the end!
All-time favourite film? 
The Godfather ( 1 or 2 doesn’t matter )
Most used practice routine? 
Chris and I have developed a few new ones so we use them but of the standard ones, probably line up or T
What one part of yourself are you most desperate to change? 
I’d love to get to the point where losing doesn’t hurt so much. It still upsets me.
Biggest moaner on the Snooker tour? 
Well obviously I’m first but after me its tough to say. Selty likes a scream up.
Are you a betting man and if yes, what is your biggest win? 
As you know, I like a bet on the golf but as you rightly say I can’t pick my nose! (I'm saying nothing) I did once, NEARLY have an 8 time accumulator come through on a Champions League night a few years ago with my mate John but Basel scored in the last minute and did us out of £25,000. Cheers.
If you were in charge of the game of snooker, what would be the first thing you’d change?
I’d immediately bring in a shot clock and minimise toilet breaks for players
Favourite TV show and least favourite TV show? 
Favourite of all time would be The Fast Show, but i’m currently into House of Cards. Least favourite would be any of the Carry on films.
Tour player you’d least like to be sat next to on a plane and why? 
Any of the really nervous flyers. Tony Drago or Tom Ford spring to mind. 
Dream Car? 
I’m lucky that this great sport of ours has been good to me and a few years ago I bought my dream car - an Aston Martin DBS. Having sold that I’m now saving for a DB5 but as they’re £650,000 I’m a long way off! Maybe when I’m 75 I’ll be close.
Best day of your life (so far)? 
Very hard to say as fortunately there have been lots of great days but snooker related, winning the Masters is up there. 
If you could spend the day in the company of any three people that have ever lived who would they be and why? 
I’d love to have met Joe Davis. It would be great to show him how far snooker has come and thank him personally. I’d love to have met Winston Churchill and learn from him the skill of never giving up, and I’d love to meet Neil Armstrong to ask him if we’ve ever REALLY been to the moon?
And finally… who is the tour player least likely to open his wallet? 
Well if it’s for watches and first class seats he’s no problem, but if it’s his round, Selty is tighter than cramp!
 
"Tighter than cramp" may have to become a new catchphrase of mine. I've never heard it before but boy did it make me laugh!!! Matt Selt has also come in for some stick big time there, but as they're mates it's all in good jest and i'd like to thank Shaun again for his brilliant answers.
 
Who do you want to see get bombarded next with the QUICK FIRE QUESTIONS? All suggestions are welcome and i'll see what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment