Monday 7 April 2014

World Championship Qualifiers EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Scott Donaldson

On Wednesday Scott Donaldson will begin his bid to qualify for The Crucible against Ahmed Saif in the first of a possible 4 matches if he is to make into the Last 32 of the World Championships, so it was really nice of him to take some time out of his preparations to do an interview for the blog.


This is what Scott had to say:



Thanks very much for agreeing to do the interview Scott. First up, your season started off very well, and you’ve played pretty good snooker all season long. So, how do you rate your chances of finishing the season off in style by qualifying for The Crucible?

Well - I'll just be playing it like every other tournament I have. Try to put a performance in and see how it goes, who knows what might happen! I rate my chances of course but there are too many good players to say what you will and won't do.

In the space of about a week back in June you reached the quarter-finals of the first European Tour event, and the semi-finals of the first Asian Tour event. How pleasing was that for you, and how much of a boost did that give you for the rest of the season?

Yes it was a boost of course, I played well & done it at the right times. It took a bit of pressure of me as that was going to help my standings in the European Merit for staying on the tour.

Your performances in the Asian Tour events earned you a place in the Players Championship Grand Finals, was that a big target of yours at the seasons start?

It never really crossed my mind to be honest, once I had both of the runs in the European & Asian tours someone mentioned a good chance to get to the grand finals. So my answer would be yeah it was great to be involved although I played poorly. A proud achievement to get there though.

You then went on to make your best ranking performance of the Last 16 at the Wuxi Classic, and recently matched that again at the Welsh Open with wins over Robert Milkins, David Gilbert and Andrew Higginson. How much belief in particular did that performance at Newport give you, knowing you can beat good experienced players on the big stage?

To be honest with you Michael, I have played quite well all season - even the games I lost. Although yes I suppose it was nice to play in arena and get some wins.

Do you have any big outstanding memories of watching the World Championships on TV as a kid, or visiting the Crucible at all?

I remember Shaun Murphy beating Matthew Stevens in the 2005 final and I think I watched it every other year after that. John Higgins was the one I was always cheering on, what a guy.

At what ages did you: start playing snooker, realise you could turn professional and start dreaming of playing in the World Championships at The Crucible?

I don't really know which age exactly, but I was at my child-minders one day and when my father came to pick me up from their house he seen me playing on a tiny little snooker table on the floor. He was amazed how I grasped how to play it and hold the cue. Then soon after we got a small snooker table in the living room in our house, and my dad said he could see a serious talent in me. Soon after that he took me to the local club to see a full size table and from then on it kept progressing and progressing. I seemed to have a lot of knowledge about the game.

Despite reaching the latter stages of Tour events this season, would qualifying for the Crucible be the biggest achievement of your career so far, and would it be a dream come true?

Of course, it's what snooker is all about.

At the time of writing you’re sitting nicely in 61st on the end of season money list to survive for another year, but you would also get another 2 year tour card via the European order of merit if you dropped outside of the Top 64. Which of those 2 methods of tour survival would be your preference?

Top 64 because you keep your money rather than lose everything & get two years.

Would you put the switch to the Flat 128 structure down to your improved performances this year, or do you think that it is that just a secondary factor?

No, definitely not the reason. Just a secondary factor.

Following on from Scots like Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Stephen Maguire, Graeme Dott and Alan McManus, is it easy for you to find sources of inspiration in your career?

Yes, Scotland has been the place for professional snooker in recent years, so it's good to hear the thoughts and get some advice of the other guys.

As I hinted at there, there are hardly a shortage of Scottish players on the tour so do you find it easy to find good practice partners, people to go for some advice, and (the big one really) people to get a lift with when it comes to travelling to tournaments?

Yes, a great practice match is certainly not far away. I mentioned the advice aspect in the previous question and is the same for this one. Yeah, I'm always hatching lifts off everyone!

There was a European Tour event in Scotland in your first season on tour, but that wasn’t staged again this season. How good was it for you to play in front of your home fans, and do you hope that snooker can return to Scotland in the near future?

It was great, mainly because I could sleep in my own bed! I'd love an event back in Scotland, there should definitely be at least one per year.

Do you have many friends on the Pro Tour, and do you find it more difficult when you have to play a friend in a competitive tournament?

Yes I do have a lot of friends, but when it comes to going on the table - you treat everyone the same.

Is there much that you enjoy doing away from the game of snooker? (When you get the chance that is!)

I'm a very chilled out person so I will just relax when I'm off the snooker but I'm really sporty. I love watching all the big sporting events throughout the year, and also I go and support St. Johnstone when I can.

Having just passed your 20th birthday Scott you have your entire career in front of you. Therefore, what are your aims (in the short term) for the next couple of seasons and (looking further ahead) what do you want to want to and believe you can achieve before the end of your career?

My aim is just to enjoy playing snooker, and see how far it takes me. There are a lot more important things in life than snooker.

Thanks very much to Scott there for doing the interview and some very interesting comments. Look out later on for what I make of his chances of qualifying in my World Championship Qualifiers preview.

Also, keep an eye on the blog in the coming weeks as i'll hopefully have some more interviews to bring you as part of the World Championship season on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment