Thursday 18 February 2016

Welsh Open Last 16 Preview

This is entitled Last 16 Preview but it won't be much as I write so close to the start of play. Yesterday there was some impressive snooker from plenty of players. Shot of the week came from Shaun Murphy in his match with Luca, as he potted a long ball from the jaws of the pocket when angled on the majority of reds.

Unfortunately for Shaun he's on his way home and it is the Belgian who keeps up his insane form. Speaking of insane form, Mark Allen is cueing as well as anyone this week. His match with Hull was excellent in the Last 64 with both playing magnificent snooker, while against Ryan Day I was one sided with the Northern Irishman absolutely flying.

Ronnie didn't look like he could miss in his match with Jimmy Robertson, while Ding Junhui has been a lucky boy to come through two deciders in two rounds and I fancy his match today could go the same way. Plenty of top players are left in the event and with the Last 16 still being best-of-7 frames it makes most of these matches coin tosses, but i'll still try some predictions:

Last 16 Draw: (Picks in Bold)

John Higgins Vs Michael White
Barry Hawkins Vs Mark Allen
Ding Junhui Vs Luca Brecel (Fancy another decider between these two after both have already come through 2)
Neil Robertson Vs Marco Fu
Mark Selby Vs Mark Williams (Have to fancy this to go the distance as well over best-of-7 frames)
Ronnie O'Sullivan Vs Yu De Lu (Can anyone take another frame from Ronnie?)
Judd Trump Vs Joe Perry
Martin Gould Vs Ben Woollaston (Gould's been very lucky so far this week and Ben appears to love it here in Cardiff).


That's all from me as it's time to check out of my Cardiff hotel (where the breakfast has been going down smooth this week) and get on the train home, so unfortunately I will miss most of todays action.

I will do a proper round-up blog of my three days in Wales and what I thought of it all at a later date, but I have to say it has been an enjoyable experience for me as I don't get to attend many events.

The live blogs have been fun to do, and in my view have been pretty successful (particularly on Tuesday when the world snooker live scores site went down).

No comments:

Post a Comment